Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Defining the scope of a project

When I first started learning and practicing game level design I sampled a few different editors to see what they were like and which one I wanted to use first. I tried Valve's Hammer editor, the new Starcraft 2 Galaxy editor and I tried Bethesda's TES: Construction Set for Oblivion.

I chose to use the Construction Set (CS) first because it was a very comfortable editor and it would be fun to create a quest and multiple dungeons in an Oblivion mod. Each editor has its differences and similarities that make it stand out from the other ones. For instance, in the CS they have a very easy way to place objects in the world; the fall function drops the object straight down until it makes a collision and you are also able to activate the Havoc Engine to "handle" the objects like you can in the game. The CS was cool because it was like playing with Legos to interior rooms and dungeons. The developers created kits of different dungeon styles with basic "building blocks" that fit together to make an infinite amount of designs.

After I finished several tutorials for making Oblivion mods, I started to work on something of my own. It was a game concept I had came up with a year or two ago that I converted into a quest in Oblivion. The problem I've been dealing with lately is that I didn't adjust the scope of the quest for someone at my level. (Actually, its almost a lead in for a whole guild of quests or quest line) It has been difficult to maintain my focus in getting this mod into the testing stages. When working alone, I think the scope should be kept to a minimum and then adjusted later if time permits.

-Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment